From dusk till dawn (Abierto hasta el amanecer)
In 1996 Joca did a survey with 680 youngsters who live in the neighboorhoud of Gijon. They found that recreation and employment are two big problems.
To prevent youngsters from using drugs and alcohol by giving them other possibilities to entertain themselves in the night-time on weekends
To provide an alternative way to entertain youngsters in the night-time on weekends (sport, cultural, recreational)
The participation in the program seems to have no effect on the measured variables: drug use, leisure habits and attitude towards drugs. The program is very well accepted and valuated by youngsters, but there is no prove on its efficacy as a preventive program.
Youth between 14-20 years
The programme is managed from start to finish by young people
This programme is based on the facts that:
- It is necessary to provide young people with the knowledge and resources needed to make these decisions (using drugs).
- People that don't do drugs can find alternative ways to spend their leisure time or learn how to deal with peer pressure and stay firm on their decision.
Sports, cultural and recreational centers who want to open at night on weekends.
- drug consumption (frequency and quantity)
- Risk factors for drug consumption: leisure habits, risk perception, attitudes towards drug consumption.
- Consequences of taking drugs: drunkenness, drunk driving, violence.
- Assessment of the program Abierto hasta el amanecer
- Use of the leisure time: Youngsters in the experimental group are more active and creative than those in the control group, but there are no significant differences in the chances to go out at night, to meet friends and drink alcohol or in going out for other activities during weekend between both groups.
- Drug use: subjects in the experimental group smoke more than those from the control group. In alcohol consumption, there are not significant differences during the week neither at weekend. Also no differences were found in number of drunkenness Only analysing by gender, woman in the experimental group showed lower levels of alcohol consumption during the weekend.. In relation to other drugs, levels of use are very small, and no differences appear between groups.
- Attitudes towards drugs: no significant differences were found between groups for any related variable to this issue.
Comparing pre and post measures in the experimental group vs. control group:
- No significant differences between groups in the use of the leisure time.
- No significant differences in drug use (neither in alcohol use during weekend) comparing pre and post measures in any group (so, also no differences between groups).
- No significant differences between groups in reference to attitude towards drugs
- Assessment of the program by the users: More than 70% say that activities were interesting, they belief that it help to promote relations between youngsters, dont care about recommending it to friends, and to come back in next editions of the program. About 95% think that the program is good or very good.